Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 pkg. (16 oz.) elbow macaroni
1 pkg. (14 oz.) McCormick® Grill Mates® Smoky Applewood & Cheddar Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 medium onion, chopped
6 tbsp. butter, divided
4 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
3 cups milk
1 pkg. (8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg. (8 oz.) shredded provolone blend cheese
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Cook macaroni in large saucepan as directed on package for al dente pasta. Rinse under cold water; drain well.
2. COOK and stir sausage and onion in same pot on medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pot; drain fat. Set aside.
3. MELT 4 tablespoons of the butter in same pot on medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until well blended. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Stirring constantly, cook 3 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Stir in cheeses until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Add macaroni, sausage and onion; toss gently to coat.
4. POUR into greased 13×9-inch baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter; mix with panko. Sprinkle evenly on top.
5. BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.